Links of Interest
November 26, 2009
- Les Incroyables et Merveilleuses: "literally roving bands of angry dandies" in post-Revolution France. An anti-rebellion fashion statement from the upper class. Cutting your hair à la victime was in — that is, cutting your hair short the way the executioners did before they guillotined someone. Yeah. Fashion.
- L'inconnue de la Seine: the most famous face in France.
- An important early instantaneous photograph: from 1881. A camera hooked up to an explosive device hooked up to a donkey. Oh, dear.
- Book sizes: is that book you're holding a quarto? An octavo? A double elephant folio? A quadrasegisimo-octavo? Find out.
- Collages by Alexis Anne Mackenzie: simply wonderful.
Hedgehog in the Fog: a 1975 animated short by Yuri Norstein: