I keep asking people, "So did you hear about horse_ebooks?" But while my Twitter feed went a little crazy this week, people in real life had no idea what @horse_ebooks was or why a spambot reveal mattered. And I don't know why either! But I still have these totally weird wistful feelings about the whole thing.
The sequence of events:
- Horse_ebooks takes over the internet (Daniel D'Addario, February 2012)
- How I found the human being behind Horse_ebooks, the internet's favorite spambot (Adrian Chen, February 2012) (red herring?)
- Horse_ebooks is human after all (Susan Orlean, September 2013)
- Eulogy for a horse. (Dan Sinker, September 2013)
- @Horse_ebooks, and the Internet we thought we knew (Marie Connelly, September 2013)
Sigh. Here are some semi-hi-res commemorative tweet screenshots. Click through and hang them sadly on your office bulletin board, if you want.